Responsibilities and duties
As prescribed at the Decree 60/2008/NĐ-CP dated May 09, 2008, the Committee for Ethnic Minorities, a ministerial level agency under the Government, performes its functions of state management on ethnic minority affairs nationwide, and on public services within its authorities as prescribed by the law
Duties and authorities
The Committee has the following duties and authorities:
1. To submit to the Government laws, draft resolutions of the National Assembly, ordinances, draft resolutions of Standing Committee of the National Assembly, draft resolutions and decrees of the Government based on annually approved programs and plans on laws making of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities as well as projects assigned by the Government and the Prime Minister.
2. To submit to the Government strategies, plans, programs, concepts, projects, draft decisions, directions on ethnic minorities within the streering and administrating authority of the Prime Minister.
3. To issue decisions, directions, circulations on aspects within state management of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities; to provide guidance and inspection on the implementation of such legal documents.
4. To chair or co-ordinate with Ministries, ministerial level agencies, gorvenmental agencies, other relevant organizations for formulating strategies, policies, concepts, projects, national-targeted programs, action plans, projects, masterplans , regional plans on socio-economic development, national defence and security consolidation in ethnic minority areas to submit to the Government, the Prime Minister for their approval or promulgation; to conduct, provide inspection and guidance to the implementation of such strategies, policies, concepts, projects, programs and plans.
5. To chair or co-ordinate with Ministries, ministerial level agencies, gorvenmental agencies and socio-political organizations to make periodical reviews to evaluate the implementation of Communist Party’s guidelines, policies and State’s laws related to ethnic minorities; to submit periodical and unscheduled reports to the Government, the Prime Minister as prescribed by the laws.
6. To chair the formulation, promulgation within its authority or submit to authorized level to promulgate, conduct the implementation of specific policies, programs, projects, concepts to develop areas facing extreme hardship; policies on ethnic people living in border, mountainous, far and remote areas, upper rivers and streams where frequently suffer from calamity.
7. To chair the formulation, promulgation within its authority, or submit to authorized level to promulgate stardards of classifying ethnic minority groups and areas based on development level, to regulate the re-classification of ethnic minority groups according to requirements of grassroots and persuant to the laws.
8. To conduct surveys, researchs, setting up data base on ethnic minority groups of Vietnam.
9. To chair the formulation, promulgation within its authority or submit to authorized level to promulgate specific policies on officials, civil servants working in ethnic minority networks; policies on mobilizing, increasing number of officials, civil servants working in ethnic minority areas.
10. To co-ordinate with Ministries, ministerial level agencies, governmental agencies, relevant organization to formulate, promulgate within its authority or submit to authorized level to promulgate policies on human resources, vocation, intellectual background raising for ethnic minority people; poverty line in ethnic minority areas; policies on preserving and promoting cultural and traditional identity of ethnic minority groups; to ensure the execution of rights of using dialects and languages, scripts and writings of ethnic people.
11. To contribute its advices to draft legal documents related to ethnic minorities issued by other Ministers, Heads of ministerial level agencies, People Councils and People Committees of cities and provinces under central government; to inspect the implementation of guidelines, Communist Party’s policies and state laws related to ethnic minorities in Ministries, ministerial level agencies, governmental agencies and provinces.
12. To conduct, monitor and inspect the implementation of programs, policies on socio-economic development in ethnic minority areas; policies on investment and support for life stabilization of ethnic minority people; policies on preserving and developing ethnic minority groups of small-sized population.
13. To chair and co-ordinate with Ministry of Justice, the media and local authorities to propagandize, popularize, educate laws to ethnic minority people within its state management; to encourage ethnic minority people to implement guidelines, Communist Party’s policies and state laws.
14. To participate in assessment of projects, concepts, programs related to ethnic minority people and conducted by Ministries, ministerial level agencies, governmental agencies, relevant organizations; to participate in managing, steering the implementation of programs, projects sponsored and invested by international organizations in ethnic minority areas as prescribed by the laws.
15. To host, visit ethnic minority people and co-ordinate with ministries, agencies, local authorities to settle requirements of ethnic minority people in accordance with policies, and regulations of the laws.
16. To periodically hold national ethnic minority conferences, meetings participated by the best practice in local emulative movements; to hold activities for exchanging experiences among ethnic minority representatives from all over the country to enhance the unity strength among nationalities of Vietnam.
17. To chair and co-ordinate with ministries, ministerial level agencies, governmental agencies in formulating, promulgating within its authority or submit to authorized level to promulgate and steer the implementation of policies towards prestigiuos representative from ethnic minority groups; to honour and reward within its authority or request authorized level to honour and reward ethnic minority groups and individuals making remarkable achievements in production, socio-economic development, keep security, orders, and being proactive in implementing all guidelines, Communist Party’s policies and state’s laws.
18. To chair and conduct the implementation of administration reform at the Committee for Ethnic Minorities accordance to the national program of administration reform approved by the Prime Minister.
19. To chair, conduct the implementation of researches on social sciences, technology, environment in ethnic minority aspect and in ethnic minority areas.
20. To perform the international co-operation in all aspects within the state management functions of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities as prescribed by the laws.
21. To inspect the implementation of ethnic policies; to consider petitions, appeals and requests of citizens; to perform corruption prevention and anti-corruption, waste, bureaucracy and cases treatment of law violation within the authority of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities.
22. To manage the organization system, workforce; to execute salary regulations, favored, rewarding and punishment regulations and policies towards officials, civil servants within its authority; to train, strengthen professional competence of officials, civil servants and personnel exercising ethnic minority affairs; to set up professional standards of official’s grade in the aspects assigned and decentralized to be authority of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities and send to the Ministry of Home Affairs for promulgation; to set up and promulgate standards on title of leaders working at Departments of Ethnic Minorities under the authorities of Provincial People’s Committee under the central government.
23. To set up the annual budget estimate; to work with Ministry of Finance to estimate incomes and expenses of specific profession, aspect under its management to submit to the Government; to manage, conduct the implementation and balance the national budget; to perform other duties on the national budget, finance, assets as prescribed by the laws.
24. To perform other functions prescribed by the laws to be duties and authorities of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities or entrusted by the Government and the Prime Minister.